November 14, 2018

It's In The Bag - An Unmistakably Weis blog on food and life

School’s Out For Summer!


POSTED BY | POSTED IN Healthy Bites Articles | POSTED ON 6-17-2015

healthysnackSummer is in full swing! Use these tips to keep kids on track and have a happy and healthy summer vacation:

Stick to a schedule.  Keeping regular mealtimes and bedtimes all year-round is a must.  Regular meals will help to keep bellies full and the kids out of the cookie jar, while adequate sleep helps to recharge their growing bodies.

Get kids in the kitchen! Cooking with your kids sets the stage for better eating habits later in life, and it’s also a fun way to spend quality time together! Kids are also more likely to try new foods if they help prepare them. Younger children can count ingredients and stir, while older children can measure and chop with supervision.

Try some of these delicious, kid-friendly recipes!

No Bake Energy Bites

Peach-Berry Crisp

Do-It Yourself Trail Mix

Tropical Watermelon-Berry Slushie

Dip, Dip Hooray!

Get real. Choose more whole and minimally processed foods over more processed options. For example, try apple slices or grapes instead of gummy fruit snacks or homemade baked potato fries instead of potato chips. A good rule-of-thumb is to choose whole foods at least 80% of the time and save the other 20% for summer splurges. Keep healthy snacks, like low-fat string cheese, pre-cut fruits and veggies and granola bars within kid’s reach in the refrigerator and pantry for mid-day snack attacks.

Move more! Incorporate at least one hour of physical activity into each day. Go swimming, go for a bike ride, go to the playground or local park, play outdoor games – the possibilities are endless! And as always, make it fun and don’t forget the sunscreen!

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments


82-stuffing-sm82-ftoast-sm82-cranberry-sm

take me to Healthy Bites Recipes

take me to the Weis Recipe Archives

82-muffins-sm82-southwest-sm82-brie-sm82-salad-sm

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

Customer Service

Call 1-866-999-9347 and select option 5 for assistance

Connect with us